John Field Piano Competition
Pianists are invited to take part in the First John Field International Piano Competition. The goal of the competition is to offer the occasion to once again hear the music of Field and his students. An Irishman by birth, John Field is considered by many to be the founder of the Russian Piano School, which is distinguished by its use of lyricism, melody, expression and, of course, virtuosic technique. Indeed, John Field’s playing was likened by his contemporaries to Italian belcanto.
Students of John Field include the well-known Russian composers and musicians Dubuque, Glinka, Guriliov, Alyabiev, Verstovsky, Meyer, Gerke, Villoing and Dargomyzhsky. These in turn influenced Balakirev, Zverev, Tchaikovsky, Rubinstein, Ziloti, Scriabin, Rachmaninov, and Goldenweiser, among others. Outside of Russia, Field most notably made an impact on Chopin,who heard his Nocturnes and famously went on to develop the form.
For the last two hundred years, the respect in which John Field is held in Russia has helped develop a strong link in classical music between Russia and Ireland.
The competition is the idea of Russian pianist Viktor Ryabchikov, and is organised by the Irish non-profit organization Russian Bridge with the support of Louth County Arts Council, Ireland.
The competition will be held at the Dundalk Táin Theater which is located at the Town Hall, Crowe Street, Dundalk, Co Louth, Ireland from 06.12.2017 until 08.12.2017.
The winners will be offered the opportunity to perform in a concert with
Camerata Ireland under the direction of
world-renowned pianist and winner of the Tchaikovsky International Piano Competition
1.The participants of the competition are to be divided into 3 groups:
Group A is divided into two age categories:
A1 — up to 9 years, the duration of the program is 5-7 minutes
A2 — 10-12 years, the duration of the program is 6-10 minutes
Group B is divided into two age categories:
В1- 13-15 years, duration of the program up to 10 minutes
В2- 16-19 years, duration of the program up to 12-15 minutes
Pianists older than 19 years, the duration of the program is up to 15-20 minutes
Age is to be reckoned as that on the day of the performance.
- Program of performances for the participants.
2.1 Participants in category A1 should play 1 movement of the Clementi Sonatina from op. 36 or 37, in addition to one or two works of their choice.
2.2 For other categories (A2, B1 and B2, C): a performance of one (or two) works by John Field is to be mandatory, as well as one or two works of their choice. The Jury will welcome the choice of the composers who were disciples of John Field and his followers, composers listed above. Below are the links to the scores of these composers (with the exception of Chopin’s works, which are available from a wide variety of other sources)
- The competition will be held in one round for all categories.
- The Jury’s decision is final
- Contestants will perform in alphabetical order.
- The jury reserves the right to stop the participant if the program time is exceeded.
- The jury reserves the right not to award prizes.
- Participants agree for broadcasting of the final Gala concert on the radio or television.
- Participants will receive diplomas and prizes on the last day of the competition.
- Applications for participation have to be sent by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing date for receipt of applications from non-EU citizens who require a travel visa is 31 October 2017 (a copy of passport to be provided for visa invitation). Closing date for EU citizens is 15 November 2017
- Admission fees
For participants of all categories of group A:
Application fee € 60,00
For participants of all categories of groups B and C:
Application fee € 70,00
The fee is to be paid once the application has been approved.
For those who need to stay in Dundalk: the rooms in a local hotel can be booked on request from 05.12. to 09.12. 2017 in Dundalk.
The winners will have the opportunity toperform in a concert with Camerata Ireland under the direction of Barry Douglas.
There will be some cash prizes for the winners
SAMPLE OF APPLICATION
Surname, name of the participant, phone, home address, e-mail
Photo of contestant
Competition group, age category applied for
Brief information about participant:
- Group, age category
- The name of the institution
- Full name of the teacher, phone, e-mail
- Participation in other competitions
- Program and length of your performance